A Warm Welcome to Our Visitors
Thank you for visiting our web site. The church is located in the city of Jackson, just down the hill from the High School. We’re on the corner of Daisy and Dallas, on the north side of Jackson Boulevard.
The Orthodox Church, and particularly our Antiochian Archdiocese, has roots back to the beginning of the Church to the days of the apostles. In the book of Acts, St. Luke records that "the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch (Acts 11:26)." We treasure our Christian heritage. At the same time, we're a community that is faithful to the living Tradition of our Church in this generation. Our message is the unchanging Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Our parish is a fellowship of people who are growing in His grace. Our vision is as follows:
- St. John the Theologian Orthodox Christian Churchis the Body of Christ that gathers in Southeast Missouri to live, celebrate and hand on the Orthodox Christian faith once given to the Saints in the ancient, undivided Church.
- In response to our baptism, we order our lives around the teaching of the apostles, fellowship, the breaking of the bread and the prayers, especially through participation in the Divine Liturgy and the liturgical services, keeping the fasts and feasts of the Orthodox Church with joy.
- We pursue ongoing formation in the faith through provision of religious instruction for children and youth, as well as study opportunities for adults.
- We support each other through clear communication, frequent social gathering, sharing needs and pooling our responsibility to help each other.
- We are striving to become a tithing community, that we may provide a stable economic foundation for all our services, ministries and charitable works.
We trust that you will find the information you're looking for on our various pages and links. We endeavor to provide clear explanations that reflect the fullness of the Faith "which was once for all delivered to the saints (Jude 1:3)." If you live in our area, we would be delighted to have you come and experience the life of the ancient Church with us. The Orthodoxy you'll find here isn’t new or unique. In fact, we practice that which the Church has believed at all times, in all places, by all people.
We put on Christ and endeavor to be found in Him, just as all Christians have done from the beginning, which enables us to hand down to the next generation the living witness of "Christ in you the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27)." If you're already an Orthodox Christian, we'll help nurtue your faith and strengthen your life in Christ. If you're not yet Orthodox, we invite you, as did the apostle Phillip, "come and see (John 1:46)."
At the founding of the mission, the Bishop selected the name St. John the Theologian to express the reality that in Jesus Christ we are a new creation. Through Him we can put on love, not only love for God, but love for one another and all people. As the Apostle and Evangelist said, "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love (1 John 4:7-8)."
All of the Scriptures bear witness that the greatest gift is love. We strive to embody this holy virtue and put it into practice. We hope to see yo soon. May God bless you.
In the joy of the Resurrection,